Friday, August 26, 2011

Rocket Cake

Here's my latest adventure in cake decorating.... Rocket from Little Einsteins!
My nephew wanted a Rocket cake for his 4th birthday, so I did my best. I used a 1/2 sheet cake for the base and iced it in a sky blue. The Rocket itself was made of 1 oval cake baked in a Pyrex dish and a round cake baked in a Pyrex. I chose Pyrex so there wouldn't be any hard edges. The boosters are Twinkies with graham crackers cut at an angle. I put a couple of orange Candy Melts (the kind used for molds) as headlights, an unwrapped cherry Blowpop for the antenna, Twizzlers Pull-n-peels for the seeming, and red hots for the rivets. (The red hots were a last minute idea from Dahubby. Brilliant!) The clouds were just good old-fashioned white icing squeezed out of a Ziploc freezer bag that was snipped 1/2" at the corner and generously mounded. Not perfect, by any means, but recognizable to Jaxen, and that's all that matters!! I think the key is to just get in there and do it. Be fearless in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment